Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:31:56PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> Look at this. A lot of programs that reside in /bin make no sense to
> users who do not know how to run them, i.e. who do not know what
> arguments (or prefix, in your case settrans) to supply. But they still
> are in /bin

There are 3 possible solutions depending on the program:
1) move it to /libexec
2) move it to /sbin
3) write a better manual and provide good --help output for the program

For GNU/Hurd there is a another solution, removing the program out of
the /bin directory of a specific user.

> In other words, what you seem to advocate for is a sort of
> /bin-but-just-not-in-PATH, just because it's not a 'command' in the
> strictest sense. But look, Unix doesn't have commands; they are not
> really treated separately from executable images. PATH is a weak
> concept, considering the fact that a lot of things need to set it
> explicitly, cron resets it, etc. etc.

/bin should only be used for programs invoked by the user, everything
else should go somewhere else.

> So, *nix only has programs you can run, and IMHO the distinction is kind
> of moot. I think /bin is an excellent place, and possibly you could
> change the ELF loader for those programs from /lib/ld.so to
> /bin/ld.settrans, and make the new settrans take and remove its own
> arguments from the argv supplied to the translator. This may be a wild
> idea though, but hey.

This does not make any sense. Go learn what translators really are and
how they are invoked before trying to tell where they should be.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org