Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:43:44PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> I'm essentially asking the question: are those 'normal' programs indeed
> normal programs, in the sense of some image that is loaded or mapped
> into a separate address space, specifying a single point of entry (being
> allowed to register other rendezvous points only subsequently), or are
> translators something else in that respect?

They are ELF executables.

> I.e. does the filesystem code run a translator via some form of exec()
> when the translator gets started on demand, or does settrans already set
> up the process space, load/map the translator's code, and register
> special entry points with the filesystem?

It does some special Hurd specific set up and then does exec.  Our exec
is written in a way to keep the Hurd specific setup.

I thank you for your opinion on this, but we really have to move on.
This issue was pondered to death, and if you are really interested
in it at this level of detail, you can install Debian GNU/Hurd, and get
into it, and post design ideas to help-hurd@gnu.org.

> (And as said, neither does /sbin IMHO, and I'm sure, coming from the
> Hurd philosophy that empowers the user and makes him fully responsible
> for his own part of the (file)system, you'll agree).

There are programs that can only useful to root, even on the Hurd.
There are much less of them, but some there are.  Those are in /sbin.