the (ab)normality of translator-programs?

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:43:44PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:

[...]

> the Hurd's great central concept, namely that a *user* can run *normal
> programs* to populate the filesystem namespace. (Or vice versa, that
> users can use the filesystem namespace to interact with *normal
> programs*). At least that's what I understand translators are all
> about?

This is probably much better-target at the help-hurd list, so maybe we
should move this subthread there, but...:

My understanding (which could be quite wrong--I've used and read
translators, but not written any) was that translators were rather
*abnormal* programs, and that trying to set a *normal* program as a
translator on a file-system node would not give useful results.

There is a *part* of every translator that shows through as a `normal
program' (*sort-of* *almost* like how, say, Python-files can both be
run as programs and loaded as libraries, I guess), and it seems like
we'd all like to preserve this multifunctional behaviour..., but every
side of the translator--every interface--is just -one aspect- of of
something `larger', and it doesn't seem right to pigeon-hole the
things....

Hm. I'm reminded of the `white mice' in the Hitchiker's Guide to the
Galaxy, which were just the partial projection into our reality of
`pan-dimensional beings' :)

--
"... many computer scientists have fallen into the trap of trying to
define languages like George Orwell's Newspeak, in which it is