Re: User-mode drivers (was: Re: GNUmach kernel parameters?)

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 05:55:19PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> I am, but it's been a while since I studied anything Hurd-related, so it
> may take a while for me to get actually started.

We are not in a hurry.

> Just theoretically, it seems an approach could be to create a wrapper
> that allows certain classes of Linux drivers to be embedded in it, i.e.
> to have a SCSI wrapper process that supplies most of whatever Linux
> offers to scsi drivers; the same for a NIC wrapper, and so on. But I'm
> sure that must have been considered before - it's probably not exactly
> trivial because of the difference in execution environments... but a lot
> of that has been studied for OSKit itself as well as far as I know...?

Well, such a wrapper is called a driver framework.  The L4 project is
going to research a new driver framework from scratch.  OSKit is another
driver framework.  The next aby-step in this direction would probably be
to write the missing code that glues the OSKit framework in user space
to the external interfaces in (OSkit-) Mach, which make interrupts etc
accessible to user space programs.