Re: GNUmach kernel parameters?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 03:59:32PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> As much as I appreciate some aspects of the Hurd's design, I must say I
> never really saw the point of having a microkernel if it doesn't allow
> you to implement drivers as services.

That the device drivers are part of GNU Mach is not really related to the
Hurd's design at all.

> separate processes would be a huge boon, especially considering the fact
> how much easier it would be for those untrusted 3rd parties (hardware
> manufacturers ;-) to write and debug drivers if they are just standard
> process using the standard user mode API.

I don't think untrusted 3rd parties enter the game here, but anyway, of
course hardware drivers should be in user space.

OSKit provides a framework for having drivers in user space.  I
think you just need to implement a few library calls to make it happen.

GNU Mach provides a framework for having drivers in user space.  You can get
interrupts delivered as messages on a special port.

Are you interested in working on user space drivers?  All the components are
there, it just has to be done and tested.

We need to do this step anyway if we ever want to switch to L4.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de