Re: about sysvinit

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 05:01:06AM +0100, Manuel A. Fernández Montecelo wrote:
> is it a feasible idea to make a, say, hurdinit package and then OR-ify
> the dependences, [sysinit|hurdinit]?

Uh, no.  It would make it "work" but it would not be the right thing at all.
Instead spenting time with such horrible kludges, you should spent time
working on the real solution if you want to help with this problem.

If we are starting going down that route, we can do this for a dozen of
other similar broken cases.  I don't see why we should uglify our
distribution even more just to deal with ugliness spilling over from
Debian GNU/Linux.  It is better to keep all additional ugliness needed to
make it work on alpha.gnu.org.

> the hurdinit pkg would be the dummy one used now, or maybe an special
> init for the system, i don't kow.

Well, if you were to develop a nice init system (doesn't need to be specific
to the Hurd) that works on the Hurd, we can use that.  I am not sure how
Debian dependencies would look for that.  Currently, it seems that even
if you don't use sysvinit, you need to have it installed (don't know why).

> i think that a better idea may be fix the outstanding bugs, including
> this (i've already seen Marcus' solution)

Note: By now the patch I sent in for sysvinit is not only out of date, I
think the sysvinit I produced back then doesn't work on current Hurd
systems.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de