Re: ABI change. Was Autobuilder needed?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 06:49:48PM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:

> > I've got an autobuilder here that is turned off while we prepare to do
> > an ABI change.  When that is complete, package building will resume.
>
> When is this likely to happen?  I am preparing for the H3 CD set at the
> moment and hope to have it ready in about 5 -10 days. I don't want to be
> caught in the middle of the change.

We won't be ready in 10 days.  I do most of my work on a remote
machine, which has been down since Monday.

The remaining issues for me are:

1) Finish bootstrapping system
2) Build some .debs so that more people can get involved
3) Convince it to boot
4) Run a script that Roland gave me on it so that he can tweak the ABI
   if necessary (And then possibly repeat steps 1-3, depending on
   his response)
5) Setup apt archive
6) Invite as many developpers as possible to build packages so that we
   replace every hurd-i386.deb file that currently exists in Debian.

> It will probably take me about 10 days to get the *hurd-i386.deb's
> when it does happen.

Ouch.  When you get to this point, would it be useful if you had a
remote machine to work from?  I know you had said it wasn't worth it
before, since the changes were incremental but maybe it's something to
think about now...

--
Tofu - The other white meat.