Re: ABI change. Was Autobuilder needed?

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Jeff Bailey wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 06:49:48PM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
>
> > It will probably take me about 10 days to get the *hurd-i386.deb's
> > when it does happen.
>
> Ouch.  When you get to this point, would it be useful if you had a
> remote machine to work from?  I know you had said it wasn't worth it
> before, since the changes were incremental but maybe it's something to
> think about now...

Some very ball-park figures based on a test CD build.

~ size of Hurd archive 4554 packages - 2.2GB
Number of hurd-i386.deb's,  2128
So volume of hurd-i386.deb's = 1 GB
(assuming similar average package sizes for hurd-i386.deb's and all.deb's)

If we are allowed to upload an average of 50 MB per day then it would take
20 days to reestablish the hurd archive.

e&oe  (errors and omissions excepted).  Probably an over estimation of
volume to be uploaded.

My 56k modem could cope with this.  Panic over.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz