ldconfig

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> They should be maintained by dpkg. If they aren't, it's a bug.

Yes, the symlinks should be in the deb. But how do they get there
during package building?

A maintainer can either create them in the staging directory
via "ln -s", but then she has to remember to keep the soname
up-to-date in this command. Or she uses an automatic method: "ldconfig
-n" or a reimplementation of the same functionality.

I think using "ldconfig -n" is the right thing. It should be supported.

Sure, the cache-rebuilding part of ldconfig is of no use on the Hurd.
But the link-generating part is useful and needed.

> > FWIW, I've seen packages generate the symlinks in debian/$PKG/usr/lib
> > with the help of "ldconfig -n". These will silently break when built
> > on the Hurd.
>
> This is a bug in the package then (it's a policy violation last time I
> checked).

I can't find anything in policy that forbids this. The only caveat is
that packages must make sure that ldconfig is available while
building. But since its in an essential package, that's not a real
issue.

I'd rather we had the following ldconfig. It would at least not break
assumptions *silently*:

#!/bin/sh

# simple "ldconfig" calls succeed silently for the sake of postinsts
[ $# -eq 0 ] && exit 0

# other invocations suggest special needs that we can't fullfil
echo We have no real ldconfig.
exit 1

--
Robbe