Re: dpkg problem installing apache-common

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> The Hurds ldconfig is just a link to /bin/true, to make Debian postinst
> scripts happy. I don't know why ldconfig is needed on Linux, it is not
> required on the Hurd, as all packages are required to have appropriate
> symlinks.

Oh, and these symlinks have to be maintained by hand? What's the point?

FWIW, I've seen packages generate the symlinks in debian/$PKG/usr/lib
with the help of "ldconfig -n". These will silently break when built
on the Hurd.

> Now, if the symlink in the package is wrong, we have to fix that.

AFAICS the original poster just got confused because he had libc0.2
2.1.3-x and libc0.2-dev 2.2-3 installed at the same time (a situation
that the dependencies allow).

--
Robbe