Re: dpkg problem installing apache-common

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 06:06:56PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > The Hurds ldconfig is just a link to /bin/true, to make Debian postinst
> > scripts happy. I don't know why ldconfig is needed on Linux, it is not
> > required on the Hurd, as all packages are required to have appropriate
> > symlinks.
>
> Oh, and these symlinks have to be maintained by hand? What's the point?

They should be maintained by dpkg. If they aren't, it's a bug.
The point is that dpkg should keep control of them, I think (otherways you
might end up with dangling symlinks. We don't call ldconfig in postrm
usually).

> FWIW, I've seen packages generate the symlinks in debian/$PKG/usr/lib
> with the help of "ldconfig -n". These will silently break when built
> on the Hurd.

This is a bug in the package then (it's a policy violation last time I
checked).

> > Now, if the symlink in the package is wrong, we have to fix that.
>
> AFAICS the original poster just got confused because he had libc0.2
> 2.1.3-x and libc0.2-dev 2.2-3 installed at the same time (a situation
> that the dependencies allow).

That would be a bug then. The dependencies in the Hurd packages should be
fixed.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de