Re: Status pages?

Jeff Bailey <jbailey@nisa.net> writes:

> So far, I've been keeping my turtle pages up to date on my Debian home
> page.
>
> Do you guys see any value in me trying to keep up a "most wanted" page
> for tasks that everyone can work on?  I can't remember (or find the
> email of the person) who got apt to work, but it was great to say
> "Here's what's needed" and have someone actually take the task.

I provided the patch in bug 92025, if you mean that. The thing is,
most snags are really small things: if a package has compiled once,
failure in newer versions are usually quite easy to fix. Normally the
whole affair doesn't take more than 30 minutes.

> However, this will be a commitment of time to keep it going, and I'd
> rather not do it if it won't get used.

Personally, I don't find it necessary. I'm perfectly fine with the
Turtle pages. Here's my how-to for people looking for small
maintainance hacking (open to enhancements):

1. Look at
   <URL:http://people.debian.org/~jbailey/turtle/group/Debian/index.html> or
   <URL:http://people.debian.org/~jbailey/turtle1/group/Debian/index.html>
   Packages with a red status need work.

2. Pick a red package you care about. If you don't have any
   preferences, look from top to bottom -- the higher-priority
   packages are near the top. Another key point for choosing is the
   status: "out-of-date" means that a previous version was
   successfully ported, and therefore that any problems should remain
   relatively small -- pick one of those if you want an easy target.
   "missing" denotes packages without a working version. These are
   generally harder (often not by much) -- on the other hand, work
   here is more valuable, so look at these if you have more time on
   your hand.

3. In most cases, a build log is linked from the Turtle main page.
   These can be used to quickly assess problems. The most common bug
   is a missing dependency. In this case, you have to determine
   the thing that's missing. Make sure it's mentioned in the
   build-depends (if not, file a bug), and finally check that the
   dependencies have working versions for hurd-i386 (if not, fix them
   first).

4. Check the bug tracking system, a patch (or at least some
   discussion) may already be there! Be sure to look at all binaries
   built from a source package.

5. If you spend more than a short while on a package, inform others to
   prevent duplicated work. A short mail to
   debian-hurd@lists.debian.org should suffice. Corollary: read this
   list.

6. Once you have a fix in hand that works, put the patch in the BTS.
   Give the bug a "patch" tag. I normally use severity "Important" for
   doesnt-compile-on-hurd patches.

Things would help making the Turtle pages even more useful:

* failing build dependencies should be mentioned up front. For
  example, a lot of packages failed due to no working cdebconf [fixed
  now], but I only discovered that after looking through a lot of
  build logs.

* add more packages. Perhaps I'm insane, but having everything of
  "standard" or higher priority under Turtle would be quite a
  blessing. Resource constraints may prevent that, though.

--
Robbe