Re: "cheap" cross-compiler works ... how to make a full-power one?

"B. Douglas Hilton" <doug.hilton@engineer.com> writes:

>     From what I can figure, I get binutils and build it for i686-gnu in Linux.
> Then I use the i386-gnu cross-compiler to make the i686-gnu cross-compiler.
> And finally I use i686-gnu to build glibc and install in /usr/local.

Is i386-gnu your "cheap" cross-compiler? I don't think you have much
use for it in this case. After you built the cross binutils, it should
be enough to get the plain gcc sources and compile with
--target=i686-gnu and any extra flags needed for pointing it to your
cross binutils. This should be covered in the gcc installation docs.

/Niels