Re: Getcwd?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 09:47:31PM +0100, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> It is possible that I caused some breakage when trying to undo the
> damage done by the usr -> . symlink in the tarball, and putting user on
> it's own filesystem (parsing out packages from dpkg -S /usr/lib/\* and
> mv-ing them to /usr/ which is another partition), or perhaps when I
> tried out the ftpfs translator without knowing what I was really doing.

Well, moving things into a seperate usr might or might not work, it is not
the intention and you should have said it in the first mail that you did
something unusual. It is likely that it will not work right without some
adjustments, but I wouldn't expect getcwd to fail.

The ftpfs stuff sounds more likely, but a reboot should have fixed that. If
after a reboot getcwd doesn't work, and you didn't install ftpfs in some
unusual place, I wouldn't expect any problem either.

> I think I saw the "Gratuitous error" the first time when trying to
> change into the ftpfs directory (which of course did not work :),

Should have mentioned that too.
How did you set up the ftpfs directory?
I would think that it should work to cd into it. After all, the intention is
to make it completely transparent (although there might be a bug you found).

> and
> afterwards, I was not able to make the translator --goaway.  How _do_
> you remove a stuck translator with an unkillable storeio?

There is -fg (force goaway), and then there is kill and kill -9.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de