Re: Making an apt-able GNU/Hurd CDROM

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 05:28:14PM +0100, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Javier Viñuales Gutiérrez <vigu@ctv.es> writes:
>
> > I don't known why apt and his powerfull interfaces aren't in Debian
> > GNU/HURD, anybody can explain me please?.
>
> <URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/base/apt_0.3.19.0_hurd-i386.deb>
>
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian/ is apt-able, but of course this
> is useless until you have apt. I'm not sure why apt is not installed
> by default (in the tarball or by the script). Maybe because apt still
> crashes the machine hard sometimes ...

The package above is build from slightly modified source. It is Debian
policy only to allow packages in the archive which are build from the
unmodified source package. The apt source package 0.3.19 does not build
without changes. Ergo no apt package in Debian.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de