Re: New Install

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 03:01:47PM -0500, Neal H Walfield wrote:
> > Network setup, links to troubleshooting info.  Oops.  I see the
> > network setup info is there.  I must have been distracted by the disk
> > and other stuff.  It was fine otherwise.  I used it because I saw a
> > request on the list (from you?) in the last week or so for someone to
> > see if the instructions were good enough to be used without having to
> > refer elsewhere and I've been meaning to get around to installing it
> > for awhile, so....  Until I ran into problems, they were good enough.
>
> Good.

Glad to provide some positive feedback :)

> > > Try screen
> >
> > I don't see it in /bin or /sbin.  What is it?  All I see is a terminfo
> > entry.  I guess I'm missing something or don't understand.
>
> screen is a package that provides virtual terminal on speed (without the
> negative effects).  You really need to use this otherwise, the only way to
> kill a hung process is with a reboot.

ACK.

> One of my boxes uses AmiBIOS. It allows me to play with my USB configuration
> under ``Advanced Chipset Setup''.  I do not know what you are running,
> however, I remember seeing it on other machines/BIOSes also.

I have an Award BIOS.  I did find one switch, Assign IRQ to USB,
or something like that.  Disabled it.  The BIOS splash now says the
network card is on IRQ 5 and nothing else is.  Still doesn't work.
(Aside: the BIOS splash showed no other duplicates except for the
HPT366 chipset which isn't being used now that I've moved the disk.
It has two entries for the same controller, same bus, same device, but
different functions.  Does this count as a conflict?  Does it matter
since I'm not using this controller?)

> > OK, I have some other leads than OS-Kit to pursue when I have some more
> > time.  I'll keep working with gnumach for now.  Do you think rebuilding
> > with the newer via_rhine driver is worth the effort to try?
>
> Only if change the irqs and it still does not work

I guess since the interrupt stuff doesn't look like it's panning out, I
can try compiling gnumach with a newer via-rhine driver, then try OS-Kit.
I can still try changing the interrupt via the Windows utility, but
since I've eliminated the conflict this doesn't seem likely to pan out.

> > OK, well I already retracted the network setup comment.  For a normal
> > install your doc has quite enough info.  Links to troubleshooting or
> > compatibility pages would be good, but they're just links.  The content
> > is fine.  /me scratches head for sec...  I just remembered one thing.
> > The partitioning section addresses everything except that it doesn't
> > say how to type the partition.  I made it type 83 (linux) based on
> > information I found elsewhere.
>
> Good points.  Thanks.

Thanks for the instructions.  :)

> > All in all, I think the interrupt business is where the problem lies.
> > The behavior is just like what I'd expect if I knew there were interrupt
> > problems.

I'm beginning to have my doubts.  Is there a way to get information about
what devices are using what interrupts, ioports, etc.?  The boot messages
go by pretty fast and the logs are pretty barren.  Diagnostic information
of any kind would be helpful.

Thanks for your assistance,
Steve

--