Re: New Install

> > Where exactly? And in what regard?
>
> Network setup, links to troubleshooting info.  Oops.  I see the
> network setup info is there.  I must have been distracted by the disk
> and other stuff.  It was fine otherwise.  I used it because I saw a
> request on the list (from you?) in the last week or so for someone to
> see if the instructions were good enough to be used without having to
> refer elsewhere and I've been meaning to get around to installing it
> for awhile, so....  Until I ran into problems, they were good enough.

Good.

> > Try screen
>
> I don't see it in /bin or /sbin.  What is it?  All I see is a terminfo
> entry.  I guess I'm missing something or don't understand.

screen is a package that provides virtual terminal on speed (without the
negative effects).  You really need to use this otherwise, the only way to
kill a hung process is with a reboot.

> > Try redirecting them to a file.
>
> I want to fiddle with the libc postinst.  BTW, I was using the Debian
> packages to install instead of the tarball method.

Should be the same result.  Thanks for the detail: always important.

> I don't remember seeing any USB or NIC setup in the BIOS.  I'll check
> again.  The NIC has a utility (in Windows, ugh.) to change its IRQ.
> I don't know if the change will persist, but that gives me a couple of
> things to try.

One of my boxes uses AmiBIOS. It allows me to play with my USB configuration
under ``Advanced Chipset Setup''.  I do not know what you are running,
however, I remember seeing it on other machines/BIOSes also.

> OK, I have some other leads than OS-Kit to pursue when I have some more
> time.  I'll keep working with gnumach for now.  Do you think rebuilding
> with the newer via_rhine driver is worth the effort to try?

Only if change the irqs and it still does not work

> OK, well I already retracted the network setup comment.  For a normal
> install your doc has quite enough info.  Links to troubleshooting or
> compatibility pages would be good, but they're just links.  The content
> is fine.  /me scratches head for sec...  I just remembered one thing.
> The partitioning section addresses everything except that it doesn't
> say how to type the partition.  I made it type 83 (linux) based on
> information I found elsewhere.

Good points.  Thanks.

> All in all, I think the interrupt business is where the problem lies.
> The behavior is just like what I'd expect if I knew there were interrupt
> problems.

Good luck,
-Neal

--