Re: New Install

> Well, I had a first go at installing The Hurd Friday night.  It appeared
> to go well enough.  Trying to boot it for native-install, grub found
> the root partition, gnumach, and serverboot (BTW, using grub to "find
> /boot/gnumach.gz" is a good way to figure out which drive and partition
> to use - this could go in the instructions I think), however, on running

That is a good idea.

> boot, the kernel couldn't find the root partition (yes, I used root=hd0s2
> arg to kernel).  It turns out HPT366 ATA66 chipset can be handled by grub,
> but not by gnumach.

That is to say by the bios and not gnumach;  All i/o that grub does is via
the BIOS functions.

> Next round, moved disk to an onboard IDE controller (and sacrificed ATA66
> access speed, and reworked linux fstab, yadayada, so I could dual boot),
> and got gnumach to boot (grub's really cool BTW).  Now, I can't get the
> network card working.  I've been following the new instructions up till
> now, but they petered out at this point.  From discussions on this list

Where exactly? And in what regard?

> and from the "Easy Guide", I knew how to do the settrans (settrans -fg
> /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet --interface=eth0 --address=192.168.56.12
> --netmask=255.255.255.0) and I could ping localhost and 192.168.56.12
> afterwards.  However, I can't get to any other host on 192.168.56.x.
> I see from the boot messages that gnumach is detecting the card
> with the via_rhine driver which is what it uses in linux.  Ping to a
> non-local address hangs the system if I don't background it.  Settrans on
> /servers/socket/2 also hangs it after an unsucessfull ping (which I did
> a few times playing with args to /hurd/pfinet), so I had to power-down
> and fsck the filesystem (from linux).  Did this a few times, and decided

Try screen

> to reinstall from a clean partition.  Watching for errors during the
> native-install is really hard since they go by so fast and I couldn't
> find a way to capture them, but I'm pretty sure there were none.

Try redirecting them to a file.

> Tried again from clean install, still no network.  The card BTW is a
> D-Link DFE-530-TX (a 10/100 PCI card).  Went back to linux and looked at
> some files in /proc for a clue and found that linux assigns interrupt
> 5 to both the network card and the the USB controller.  I had a device
> plugged into the USB port, so I unplugged it.  The USB controller
> itself is onboard so there isn't much I can do to actually disable it.
> Maybe interrupts are assigned differently by gnumach.  Anyway, it still
> doesn't work.

Shared irqs do not work at all.  Maybe you can disable it in the bios?
Or change the settings on the NIC card?

> Without ppp, it's going to be somewhat of a PITA to install anything
> else past the base system without a network.  Any clues for something
> else to try.  I've looked at the gnumach source a bit and the via_rhine
> driver looks like one from the linux source tree, fairly old but otherwise
> pretty much unmodified from the linux version.  Could I just drop in
> the driver file from a newer linux source tree and recompile gnumach?
> Any other ideas?  OS-Kit?

See about.  As for OS-Kit, it is worth a shot, however, it is much less
tested.

> PS, I almost forgot, documentation feedback: the New Instructions need
> network setup information.  I can't remember where I found links to
> hardware compatibility information, but both guides should have links
> to it.

Will take under advice, thanks.

-Neal

--