New Install

Well, I had a first go at installing The Hurd Friday night.  It appeared
to go well enough.  Trying to boot it for native-install, grub found
the root partition, gnumach, and serverboot (BTW, using grub to "find
/boot/gnumach.gz" is a good way to figure out which drive and partition
to use - this could go in the instructions I think), however, on running
boot, the kernel couldn't find the root partition (yes, I used root=hd0s2
arg to kernel).  It turns out HPT366 ATA66 chipset can be handled by grub,
but not by gnumach.

Next round, moved disk to an onboard IDE controller (and sacrificed ATA66
access speed, and reworked linux fstab, yadayada, so I could dual boot),
and got gnumach to boot (grub's really cool BTW).  Now, I can't get the
network card working.  I've been following the new instructions up till
now, but they petered out at this point.  From discussions on this list
and from the "Easy Guide", I knew how to do the settrans (settrans -fg
/servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet --interface=eth0 --address=192.168.56.12
--netmask=255.255.255.0) and I could ping localhost and 192.168.56.12
afterwards.  However, I can't get to any other host on 192.168.56.x.
I see from the boot messages that gnumach is detecting the card
with the via_rhine driver which is what it uses in linux.  Ping to a
non-local address hangs the system if I don't background it.  Settrans on
/servers/socket/2 also hangs it after an unsucessfull ping (which I did
a few times playing with args to /hurd/pfinet), so I had to power-down
and fsck the filesystem (from linux).  Did this a few times, and decided
to reinstall from a clean partition.  Watching for errors during the
native-install is really hard since they go by so fast and I couldn't
find a way to capture them, but I'm pretty sure there were none.

Tried again from clean install, still no network.  The card BTW is a
D-Link DFE-530-TX (a 10/100 PCI card).  Went back to linux and looked at
some files in /proc for a clue and found that linux assigns interrupt
5 to both the network card and the the USB controller.  I had a device
plugged into the USB port, so I unplugged it.  The USB controller
itself is onboard so there isn't much I can do to actually disable it.
Maybe interrupts are assigned differently by gnumach.  Anyway, it still
doesn't work.

Without ppp, it's going to be somewhat of a PITA to install anything
else past the base system without a network.  Any clues for something
else to try.  I've looked at the gnumach source a bit and the via_rhine
driver looks like one from the linux source tree, fairly old but otherwise
pretty much unmodified from the linux version.  Could I just drop in
the driver file from a newer linux source tree and recompile gnumach?
Any other ideas?  OS-Kit?

TIA, however I won't be able to followup on any suggestions until next
weekend.

Steve

PS, I almost forgot, documentation feedback: the New Instructions need
network setup information.  I can't remember where I found links to
hardware compatibility information, but both guides should have links
to it.

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)
Buckeye, AZ   <sbowman@goodnet.com> <bowmanc@acm.org>