Re: Root device doesn't exist

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 11:37:59PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> >Can you try to check out a CVS version from 2000-07-28 and compile
> >gnumach? Then boot it? If not, let me know and I will compile a test
> >kernel for you.
>
> I don't have a full development environment yet in the Hurd
> installation, since my net connection is rather slow --telco
> monopolies here in NL--,

Ha! :) [I live right next to you in Germany, so I suffer the same]

> but I do have a Debian GNU/Linux 2.2
> installation. I'm surely missing cross-compilation tools for Hurd
> though, and my experience with those is limited. So I think it is
> quicker if you can compile a test kernel for me, and mail it.

Done. Anyway, you don't need cross tools to compile gnumach, as gnumach is
self contained and statically linked. You can just use the linux stuff.

> It would be nice though, if you could point me to some docs on how to
> install cross-compilation stuff for Hurd on Linux, or was this
> already discussed previously on the list? I can also simply download
> the development packages for Hurd, but I've read somewhere that
> compiling is rather slow on Hurd at the moment, and therefore not
> really preferable.

Debian has the i386-gnu-gcc package which contains a cheap cross compiler
(just a specs file and a wrapper script). It works like a charm.

However, cross compiling is deprecated, because not all software is prepared
for that, and there can be subtle errors. It definitely requires some
expertise to get it right in many cases. gnumach, hurd and glibc are a safe
bet, though.

Catch your special kernel here:
http://master.debian.org/~brinkmd/gnumach_1.2-4.special_hurd-i386.deb

I left out the color and keyboard patch, but it is certainly not relevant
here. Please try it out.