Re: root-device

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Neal H Walfield wrote:

> > Thanks! I did once again (mke2fs -O sparse_super -o hurd /dev/hdb3)
> > -> doesn't work.
> > Hurd printk's the following:
> >
> > hd0s1  hd0s2
> > hd1s1  hd1s2 hd1s3
> >
> > where hd2s3 IS filled with /boot/gnumach.gz and the other files.
>
> I do not understand what you are trying to say.  Where did it printk
> the messages?  If you mean that gnumach detected those partitions
> (which does not look like a normal print out), then where are you
> getting hd2s3 from?
> -Neal

Sorry for speking some fussy.
Before gnumach.gz is loaded there are outputs which ide.devices have been found,
therefore the

    hd0s1  hd0s2
    hd1s1  hd1s2 hd1s3

which I can see.
Then, as you said, gnumach is not able to read the root partition and prompts for it.
I tried all partitions I have at this prompt, but gnumach cannont find any.
btw - I do pass the '-s' option, forgot to mention this here...

thanks,
flo