Re: root-device

> Thanks! I did once again (mke2fs -O sparse_super -o hurd /dev/hdb3)
> -> doesn't work.
> Hurd printk's the following:
>
> hd0s1  hd0s2
> hd1s1  hd1s2 hd1s3
>
> where hd2s3 IS filled with /boot/gnumach.gz and the other files.

I do not understand what you are trying to say.  Where did it printk
the messages?  If you mean that gnumach detected those partitions
(which does not look like a normal print out), then where are you
getting hd2s3 from?

> I tried it with GRUB manually and used TAB like in the shell,
> GRUB got the kernel and module right...
> I also tried other combinations (hd0s1 - hd4s4) but always this
> 'hd?s? does not exist' (where ? is filled out with digits)

It sounds like your grub works fine, however, gnumach cannot read
the root partition that you passed it.  Note that if you do not pass
it a root partition, it will prompt you for one.  If the one you give
it does not work, it will allow you to try others.

> I don't think I am missing some configuration-point (noone thougt this
> ever:^) but hey, I don't want to CVS all the sources to cross-compile ...

If this is your first boot, why are you not passing -s?  (Not that that
would solve this problem)

-Neal

--
Neal H Walfield