Re: Debian GNU/Hurd 0.3 -> 1.0

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 11:28:03AM -0800, George A. Dowding wrote:

>     Marcus> You see, I try to avoid to answer your questions. You will
>     Marcus> not squeeze anything out me :) But if you want to make it
>     Marcus> happen, get the Hurd, gdb, and start to debug. With every
>     Marcus> bug recognized and fixed, we come closer to a release of
>     Marcus> GNU/Hurd 0.3
>
> I am confused.  If one is interested in developing hurd servers, is it
> better to download the source from the gnu cvs repository or to get
> the ghhk (Gnu hurd hackers kit)?

The ghhk was only intended as a cross development platform, and is not too
useful anymore. Get the Debian distribution and the cvs source to get
started.

> Both give instructions for setting
> up a cross-compile environment.

Cross compilation should only be attempted by people who know exactly what
they are doing. You should be able to develop natively without problems. The
hurd is stable enough (modulo zero hole bug, and I probably have a
workaround ready in a day, cross fingers and stay tuned).

> They are different enough that I am
> not sure what is the best path to take.  Different web pages point to
> different ways to get started.  Where is the newest/current gnu/hurd?
> Is there a difference between the ghhk and cvs source? Do both of the
> instructions for the cross-compile environments end up being the same?

Start with http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install. It will lead you
into the right directions.