Re: Developer coming up ;-)

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 08:39:51PM +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> > > dpkg: ever tried dpkg --print-architecture?
> >
> > You are still not telling me which command you used to build the package.
> >
> I was stuck in the middle and resumed 'manually' with debian/rules.

That's not supposed to work :P

Try "debian/rules `dpkg-architecture -l`"

> > dpkg --print-architecture never made any sense to anyone. It's stupid crap.
> > Don't use it. Run away when you see it :)
> >
> Oh - I have to purge the devscripts of my machine :-0.

Please explain why you think so.

> ~$ fgrep -- --print-arch /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl
>       $arch=`dpkg --print-architecture`;
>       $? && &subprocerr("dpkg --print-architecture");

You are dropping the context:

sub findarch {
   if (exists $ENV{DEB_HOST_ARCH}) {
      $arch=$ENV{DEB_HOST_ARCH};
   } else {
      $arch=`dpkg --print-architecture`;
      $? && &subprocerr("dpkg --print-architecture");
       chomp $arch;
   }
    $substvar{'Arch'}= $arch;
}

It's only there because I was very careful about backward compatibility on
linux systems when changing the code. I do my best to get
--print-architecture dropped from dpkg alltogether, but it might take some
time to communicate this to the dpkg maintainer (hi Wichert :)

> > Yes. Send me your patches that were needed to compile gcc, please.
> >
> Should I put the binutils somewhere for observation? They obviously
> work (at least for me), but I don't think my build can be included
> into the dist since I'm not yet a developer...

You can put it online and post a link here if you want.

> I'm gonna take the gcc beast later tonight. As it looked yesterday,
> the diffs will be small.

Please note that the comment made on this list is correct: I think you can
have objc but not libgc (there is a special option for it).