Re: Developer coming up ;-)

[Please do not CC me on the lists. Thanks]

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> > What the hack is the zero hole bug? *astonished*
>
> It's a race between the various sync threads and causes corrupt files and
> directories. The bug is deep in the external pager code.
>
> The ext2fs I just posted a link to should work around this.

I see. I didn't expirience it yet, I think.

> > I tried to build the latest binutils (with
> > dpkg-buildpackage). Everything worked out fine, but the created .debs
> > are architecture 'i386' instead of 'hurd-i386'. Anybody knows what's
> > going on? Otherwise I'll have to use stow instead of dpkg.
>
> Uh. First, which version of dpkg are you using. Second, are you compiling
> under Hurd or cross compiling under Linux? How did you build (exact
> command?)

I was doing a native compile using the latest dpkg (downloaded like 3
days ago), but I've got that going: it's a bug/feature of the HURD
dpkg: ever tried dpkg --print-architecture?

On my machine it warns me that 'i386 is not in the remapping table'
(for whatever that means) and then says i386.

I fixed that by passing DEB_HOST_ARCH (or something like that) as
environment/make variable.

As a result I have (unsigned :-/) packages of the latest binutils
around, which installed without a complaint and looked fine in my
later compilation attempt of gcc. (What a beast! Next time I try a
full compile I will have to 'time'.)

On the gcc compile (also attemting to build the package), it choked in
libobjc, missing gc.h and the like. I think I figured out that one
needs libgc, which seems not to be ported. I will try disabling ObjC
GC on the next HURD reboot.

As usual, some questions:

I noticed the HURD beeing much slower on the builds. I have a machine
with > 160MB RAM and a K6-3 400MHz (if that's of any concern). And
have added >= 200MB swapspace. Can I do something about it?

Are there any tools like top, ps, and stuff for the HURD?

Thanks, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann     | Dru@ICQ      | 54523380@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at
Pfeilgasse 4-6/725   | A-1080 Wien  | Austria      | Europe