Re: HURD top

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 04:51:35PM +0100, Paul Emsley wrote:

>     >> > Are there any tools like top, ps, and stuff for the HURD?
>     >> =20 There is ps provided by the Hurd package. There are several
>     >> more tools, check it (dpkg -L hurd) notably vmstat and alike.
>     >>
>     AR> Ah, Thanks.
>
>     >> A top tool is not available.
>     >>
>     AR> Would be nice, tough... But I guess it's hard to write without
>     AR> intimate knowledge of the HURD.
>
> 	Actually, I think not.  Not too hard, at least.
>
> 	Some little while ago, IIRC, Roland said that someone should
>       write a "hurd-top" using the hurd process interface (I forget
>       the details and my hurd box is at home (libproc?)).

libproc is correct. Of course, the hurd ps already uses it, and so does
start-stop-daemon in dpkg, so there is sufficient example code.

I would suggest not to use the linux top code when writing this, but instead
writing it yourself from scratch and assigning the copyright to the FSF, so
that it can be included in the Hurd source later. Or get the author of linux
top to assign the copyright to the FSF.

(I don't know which license linux top has, even).