Re: kernel panic/paging error

I just saw it happen last night for the first time.

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:16:23AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 10:33:50AM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> >
> >    I am seeing this, too, but it's news to me. Today is the first time I really
> >    saw it happen.
> >
> >    pflocal get's suddenly nervous, and memory usage blows up, within a few
> >    seconds it sucks up all availalable RAM, and then swap (but slower). I saw a
> >    swap decrease of 4 MB every few seconds.
> >
> > The described scenario sounds familiar.  I've seen it happening for
> > quite some time.  I just thought it had something to do with
> > /hurd/term and pseudo terminals.  But no hard evidence for that.  Are
> > you guys sure it is pflocal?
>
> Well, it's pflocal which gets all the memory, but this could be a symptom,
> not the cause. It's hard to tell.

I caught it with a dozen M left in swap, had time to run ps, saw pflocal
had all the memory (>120M), killed it and it restarted.  It cleared
about 65M from swap (I have 128M ram, 128M swap) which was still pretty
high, but it stabilized there.  I have debian package libc0.2 at version
2.1.3-10 and hurd at version 20000921.

I also had 2 reboots (zalloc panic if I recall) where I guess I didn't
catch it soon enough.

> >    It's hard to get diagnostic info at this stage. I could run one "ps aux",
> >    which showed a memory usage of 66 MB, but after that, I could not get the
> >    number of ports nor the number of threads. I will try to get more info.
> >
> > Yes please!
>
> As I said, everytime it happens (and I am not sure how to trigger it), I can
> do perhaps one or two commands.

Anything in particular to do to get useful information?

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)
Buckeye, AZ   <sbowman@goodnet.com> <bowmanc@acm.org>