Hurd installation CD

This is coming along nicely.  I have successfully installed Hurd from a
stack of floppies, 11 in all not counting Grub.  Boot-floppies is now at
the stage where it can be linked up to build a Hurd installation system
ready for an installation CD.

The installation can be performed directly from the CD, from floppies or a
combination of both.  The plethora of Debian's alternative boot and root
floppies built specifically for Hurd will be available and Hurd partitions
can be created from the main installation menu.  No more typos!

The Hurd .deb packages from gnu.org will be the default packages available
to dselect.  I am proposing to include the Hurd .deb packages from
debian.org as a separate file system.  Has anyone got any better ideas?

I am also intending to use the latest tarball and Grub.  Are their any
reasons not to do this?

There is one problem.  I not able to create /dev/hd1 and mount the cdrom
onto it.  This has to be done after running native-install and before any
other packages are installed.  Could someone give me some advice please,
or better still write something I can include in the documentation.

A number of cosmetic modifications have been made to messages and the
main installation menu, but there are more that can be made.  These will
require some serious rewriting so I am not going to break my neck over
them.

The release date should be the middle of next week.  I will doing some
serious negotiation locally to see if I can get the images on a Dunedin NZ
site.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818