Problem Solved [Was: Re: New Install]

Got networking working!  Yay :-)

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 09:52:56PM -0700, Steve Bowman wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 11:40:24PM -0500, Neal H Walfield wrote:
> > > And that was hours ago, I really need to do some non-computer stuff... :)
> >
> > You could always try oskit-mach, it uses drivers from 2.2.
>
> I'm getting there.  I haven't firmly ruled out an IRQ conflict with
> the USB controller.  The BIOS isn't assigning one, but linux is giving
> them both the same IRQ (they're both PCI devices and linux doesn't see
> a problem with them sharing an IRQ).  And if the detection code and IRQ
> assignment code is that similar to mach's, well, maybe they're getting
> the same IRQ there, too.

Neal, your first hunch was it - it was the interrupt conflict.  Even a
conflict with an unused device will do it (USB was unused).  I fiddled
with a number of board configurations and now the only conflict is between
the modem and the USB controller.  Neither is used so I don't care.
(Well, I'd like to use the modem when ppp comes around, maybe even help
with that, but I'll worry about that later.)

I'm not too impressed with the ABIT BE6.  You'd think with 5 PCI slots
and only 2 cards (NIC and modem) that I shouldn't have too much trouble.
Slot 1 conflicts with the AGP slot, slot 3 with the HPT366 controller,
slots 4 and 5 with each other and the USB controller.  Slot 2 is the
only clean one.  Just in case anyone's interested....

Anyway, I'm a happy camper (hurder?).

> Or it could be the driver I suppose.  I've never used a driver that
> old (v1.00, 1998-09-05) with this card.  But I have used the v1.01
> (1999-02-27) driver (in kernel-source-2.2.13 and .14).  It was on a
> different box with a different motherboard and BIOS and all (and I just
> verified it since that box still has 2.2.13 as the failsafe kernel).
> But still, if I can build with v1.01 or use the oskit-mach driver which
> should be about this vintage, it'll either work or I can probably rule
> out the driver.

Glad I don't have to fool with this now....

Thanks for your support,
Steve

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)