Re: New Install

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 11:40:24PM -0500, Neal H Walfield wrote:
> > And that was hours ago, I really need to do some non-computer stuff... :)
>
> You could always try oskit-mach, it uses drivers from 2.2.

I'm getting there.  I haven't firmly ruled out an IRQ conflict with
the USB controller.  The BIOS isn't assigning one, but linux is giving
them both the same IRQ (they're both PCI devices and linux doesn't see
a problem with them sharing an IRQ).  And if the detection code and IRQ
assignment code is that similar to mach's, well, maybe they're getting
the same IRQ there, too.

Or it could be the driver I suppose.  I've never used a driver that
old (v1.00, 1998-09-05) with this card.  But I have used the v1.01
(1999-02-27) driver (in kernel-source-2.2.13 and .14).  It was on a
different box with a different motherboard and BIOS and all (and I just
verified it since that box still has 2.2.13 as the failsafe kernel).
But still, if I can build with v1.01 or use the oskit-mach driver which
should be about this vintage, it'll either work or I can probably rule
out the driver.

At this point, the most direct route to localizing the problem is the
one I'll go for.  I'm going to try some slot switching next as I just
mentioned in another message.

Thanks again, :-) (I'm still smiling when I could be grumbling, hehe)
Steve

PS, it seems kind of silly for us to be cc'ing each other when I'm
sure you're both on debian-hurd.d.o and I am as well.  I've trimmed the
cc's accordingly.  Unless you _want_ to be cc'd, then just let me know.

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)
Buckeye, AZ   <sbowman@goodnet.com> <bowmanc@acm.org>