Re: Problem solved!

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 12:48:50AM +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> hi,
>
> 	Thanks for all the help folks!  I recompiled gnumach and Hurd
> now boots fine without me touching my hardware.
>
> 	I run Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 on i386.  Most of you know what
> problem I had before this - Hurd would not boot and stopped while
> detecting my NE2000 ethernet card.  For the benefit of others, here is
> what I did to get it working.
>
> (1) # apt-get install gcc-i386-gnu mig-i386-gnu
> This is from the stable archives.  These two packages are _very_ small
> totalling less than 50KB.
>
> (2) Download gnumach-1.2.tar.gz and gnumach_1.2-5.diff.gz from
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/base/
> You can get it from your favourite mirror too.
>
> (3) $ tar xvzf gnumach-1.2.tar.gz
>
> (4) $ gzip -cd gnumach_1.2-5.diff.gz | patch -p0
>
> (5) $ cd gnumach-1.2/
>     $ MIG=i386-gnu-mig CC=i386-gnu-gcc ./configure --enable-floppy \
>     --enable-ide --enable-ne2000 i386-pc-gnu --prefix=/gnu
>     $ make
>
> (6) # mount /gnu; make install
>
> (7) Reboot and then use grub to boot with the kernel=/boot/gnumach
>
> (8) Do all the setting up under single user mode.  reboot.  Hurd is up
> and running happily with the network card.  Ping works.
>
> 	As is evident the above procedure is _very_ easy.  So there is
> no excuse not to compile gnumach from within linux and try it out.
> Stefan, I think it is well worth the effort.
>
> 	Also my original problem had nothing to do with IRQ sharing.
> As James Morrison had said, it was an ethernet card detection problem.
>
> 	Is there a Hurd FAQ?  Maybe the above instructions could go
> there?

If crosscompoling is as easy as this, you should mention this is
the Easy Guide! I am just a "Master of Music education", lurking on
debian-hurd just to be cool, but I'll try this  this weekend to see
if it works.

In the beginning of my (really simple) struggles to get hurd working,
I was thinking of crosscompiling, but since I'm no Ph.D in computers,
the documentation about cross compiling was to abstract. (Later I figured
out how to get it to work without recompiling.)

[If the above example actually works ;-)]: Simple and direct examples
like this is what you need in the Easy Guide, if you want users like
me. That is people that will never do any coding on the hurd, but will
compile programs on the hurd and maybe report a few bugs.

--
Tom Cato Amundsen <tca@gnu.org>
GNU Solfege - free eartraining, http://www.gnu.org/software/solfege/