Problem solved! - sort of. (was Re: kernel halts during first boot)

hi,

    Me> I encountered this problem once.  It was when my pnp ne2000
    Me> was enabled.  I think after scsi it tries to detect the
    Me> network cards, if one is enabled that doesn't match the 3com
    Me> drivers that are in the kernel it stops.

    Me> So the solution i have heard around here is to remove all
    Me> excess cards, and to try it again.

	You are absolutely right.  I have an NE2000 ISA card that uses
IRQ 5.  I removed the card and Hurd booted cleanly.  So I have the
hurd up and running.  :) Thanks.

	But, it isnt any fun without a network card.  Besides I cant
do too much without the network.  Is there a solution for this NE2000
problem?  Is there some boot option I can pass to hurd?  The hardware
compatibility page says that this card is supported.  The card I have
is a proper ISA one and not one of those ne2kpci ones.  Here is what
dmesg says from linux.

ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300: 00 80 48 9f 13 63
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ 5.

Thanks again for the quick and timely response.  Looking forward to
fixing this problem.

prabhu