Re: native-install

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 01:35:14PM -0500, Derek L Davies wrote:
> > Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
> > > On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 10:19:55AM -0500, Derek L Davies wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I did rerun it and it worked better - I didn't have to touch
> > dir since grub had created it.  I didn't have problems with active
> > translators, which surprised me.
>
> Well, maybe you were lucky :)  Although I think all translators except ftpfs
> and pfinet can exit gracefully.
>
> > It did have problems both times when attempting to create fstab, but I
> > was able to create that by hand and things are running pretty well
> > now.
>
> Can you be more specific about the problem?

You know, I don't really remember much more than seeing a message to
the effect that "fstab can't be created" from the final part of
native-install.  I ended up mounting the HURD partition on linux and
manually creating fstab which seemed to work ok.

I haven't been able to boot multi user without problems.  e2fsck
running on HURD complains about an unexpected something (I have it
written down at home, but I'm at work now) and then drops me at a
command prompt.  e2fsck running on Linux reports no problems with the
partition.  I still have not been able to get the network running.  I
end up with an eth0 and an eth1 even though I have only one NIC.
Doing ./MAKEDEV /dev/eth0 does not work.  Again, I don't have the
specific message.

Anyway, given all that I'm thinking that I might just start over from
scratch again, this time carefully documenting the problems and fixes
I encounter.  I am running on old hardware - a Dell Netplex 33/p , but
I don't that's the problem.

One thing I found confusing is that Roland's latest serverboot is in
bz2 format.  Does GRUB understand bz2 format or do I need to convert
it to .gz format before dropping it into my HURD /boot directory?  I
converted it the last time and that seemed o.k., but for the next
attempt I'd rather get the offcial word.

Anyway more info is coming when I get some time.

Derek