Re: ??? downloading from the right place?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 12:04:18PM -0800, Seth Aaron Nickell wrote:
> I'm downloading all the debs from:
>
> ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-hurd-i386
>
> However there seem to be *far* to many, given my current
> understanding of the HURD's progress

This only means that you underestimated our progress. :)

> - especially with
> regards to X-Windows.

As the libraries work fine (get them from
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian), we can offer X using software.
Use a remote display to use them.

> Also files like kernel-source make
> me very suspicious that these are *not* HURD binaries.

Those are not binaries, but packages that do not contain compiled programs
and are thus installable on any platform. Unfortunately, there is no seperation
between such Hurd and such Linux packages currently, so it's a huge mess.

So, all files that are symlinked to the binary-all part of the tree are
potentially only useful on linux platforms. But this is not true for all of
them.

After all, you can install the kernel sources on any computer. For example,
for cross compilation.

> Is the right place, or where is the appropriate place to
> download HURD debs from?

It is the correct place.