Hurd installation problem.

I have installed the Hurd on my test machine.  I would like to report
one small problem, and ask a question.

The small problem has to do with the terminfo file, /usr/share/terminfo/m/mach
and /usr/share/terminfo/m/mach-bold.  On my installation, these are already
set
up to be broken symbolic links, and so the uudecode does not work.

The question has to do with running applications.  The program less, and
several other programs seem to put themselves into the background, as if
I had typed an ampersand at the end of the line.  When I put them into the
foreground again, they with a segmentation fault.  Is this a known problem,
or have I done the installation incorrectly?  When I try to use telnet, the
telnet daemon gets to the point where it can log an attempt to connect from
the right IP number, and then it hangs.  I suspect this is the same problem
somehow, but I don't know exactly what it is.

If this is not caused by a strubled installation, I will look into it
further.

Just for the record, I have installed in several ways, all of which
cause the same problem.  I have tried all the possibilities of installing
a fresh copy of the .deb files and Marcus' most recent tarball, using
the result of cross-install on its own, the tarball on its own, and
untarring the tarball over a fresh cross-install installation.  None of
them seem to fix the problem.

Thanks.