Re: Hurd installation problem.

   Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 08:46:46 -0400
   From: Bill White <bill.white@griggsinst.com>

   The question has to do with running applications.  The program less, and
   several other programs seem to put themselves into the background, as if
   I had typed an ampersand at the end of the line.  When I put them into the
   foreground again, they with a segmentation fault.  Is this a known problem,
   or have I done the installation incorrectly?  When I try to use telnet, the
   telnet daemon gets to the point where it can log an attempt to connect from
   the right IP number, and then it hangs.  I suspect this is the same problem
   somehow, but I don't know exactly what it is.

This is more or less standard behaviour.  The Hurd cannot dump cores
yet.  Instead, when a critical signal arrives, a program suspends
itself such that you can attach a debugger to the program to find out
what went wrong.  If you then continue the program, it will handle the
signal, which in your case results in a message telling you that the
program suffered from a segmentation fault.

So the real problem is why those programs are segfaulting?  I suspect
that the shrared libncurses on your system is a bit out of date.  You
could try upgrading to the latest version.

Mark