Re: Mach microkernel development - porting to Alpha

Erik Verbruggen <ejv@cs.kun.nl> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 01:09:29AM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > Shaun Cloherty <s.cloherty@gsbme.unsw.edu.au> writes:
>
> > Search the net for fiasco (altavista for example). The first few
> > matches should point you to the right pages. Look for a link to ports
> > of the microkernel and esspecially for alpha. Theres a port that could
> > be very usefull for a debian-hurd-alpha project.
>
> So you suggest using an existing microkernel for Hurd on the Alpha in
> stead of porting GnuMach? Why so? GnuMach has the advantage of having
> many device drivers and the Alpha uses much the same hardware as x86
> machines.
>
> Erik.

I suggest looking at their boot and startup code, i.e. the part that
must be ported to alpha because of its hardware dependance. I think a
lot can be gained by looking at their code, so hurd-alpha doesnt fall
into the same caveheats they did.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: Especially booting is problematic on alpha.