Re: Hurd installation problem.

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 08:46:46AM -0400, Bill White wrote:
> The small problem has to do with the terminfo file, /usr/share/terminfo/m/mach
> and /usr/share/terminfo/m/mach-bold.  On my installation, these are already
> set
> up to be broken symbolic links, and so the uudecode does not work.

Yes, the cross-install was a bit out of sync with the ncurses packages. This
has been fixed in the very latest versions of the scripts. (only on the
debian web page). You can ignore the failure, and simply continue with
native-install.

After running native-install, the symlinks should point to something real or
so. Can you check this again?

> The question has to do with running applications.  The program less, and
> several other programs seem to put themselves into the background, as if
> I had typed an ampersand at the end of the line.

This is caused by the /servers/crash translator, which is a symlink.
Look at the various options for the crash server.

> When I put them into the
> foreground again, they with a segmentation fault.  Is this a known problem,
> or have I done the installation incorrectly?  When I try to use telnet, the
> telnet daemon gets to the point where it can log an attempt to connect from
> the right IP number, and then it hangs.  I suspect this is the same problem
> somehow, but I don't know exactly what it is.

Yes. All applications (apart from bash) which were compiled with a very
old ncurses version broke when we updated ncurses.
Please update less, telnet, etc...

> Just for the record, I have installed in several ways, all of which
> cause the same problem.  I have tried all the possibilities of installing
> a fresh copy of the .deb files and Marcus' most recent tarball, using
> the result of cross-install on its own, the tarball on its own, and
> untarring the tarball over a fresh cross-install installation.  None of
> them seem to fix the problem.

You should have asked earlier ;)

BTW, are you subscribed to bug-hurd@gnu.org? This particular problem was
discussed at least there. I probably forgot to make an announcement on this
list.

If the above wasn't helpful (as you said you tried recent debs), let me know
the exact version numbers of the libncurses and less package,

"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>