Re: layman explanation please

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 03:05:11PM +0200, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Momchil Velikov <velco@fadata.bg> writes:
>
> > Kai Großjohann wrote:
> > > A `server' in the Hurd roughly corresponds to a kernel module in
> > > Linux.  This is about a million miles away from the term `server' used
> > > to describe, say, a Web server or mail server.
> >
> > Hmm... I believe, just the opposite is true, a Hurd server is much
> > more like a Web server or mail server, i.e., all they have ports and
> > communicate with their clients by exchanging messages on these
> > ports, as opposed to a direct function call or trap.
>
> You are arguing from the perspective of how it works.  I'm arguing
> from what it does.

But Momchil is right. A kernel module is so far from a Hurd server, that you
need a telescope to see it.

> Maybe I should clarify that by `Web server' I meant a computer which
> has Linux and Apache installed.  Likewise, by `mail server' I meant a
> computer.  I wasn't talking about the programs sendmail and httpd.

Oh. Well. Still, a computer with Linux and Apache installed has a port open
to which I cn connect and query for a web site.

A Hurd server is really a server. Just as a web server.

The weird Linux binary modules are just confusing the issue.