Re: layman explanation please

Momchil Velikov <velco@fadata.bg> writes:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
> > A `server' in the Hurd roughly corresponds to a kernel module in
> > Linux.  This is about a million miles away from the term `server' used
> > to describe, say, a Web server or mail server.
>
> Hmm... I believe, just the opposite is true, a Hurd server is much
> more like a Web server or mail server, i.e., all they have ports and
> communicate with their clients by exchanging messages on these
> ports, as opposed to a direct function call or trap.

You are arguing from the perspective of how it works.  I'm arguing
from what it does.

Maybe I should clarify that by `Web server' I meant a computer which
has Linux and Apache installed.  Likewise, by `mail server' I meant a
computer.  I wasn't talking about the programs sendmail and httpd.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.