Re: Cross-compiling using plain .deb's?

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 08:53:59AM +0200, Pontus Lidman wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 10:29:34PM +0200, Pontus Lidman wrote:
> > > Hello again,
> > >
> > > To get X working (and to play with the source :)) I need to recompile
> > > gnumach & the HURD, so I'm trying to set up a cross-development
> > > environment on my linux box.
> >
> > Are you sure you want to cross compile? What for? X compiles fine natively.
> > I had no crash compiling three days and nights through.
> > Same goes for gnumach and hurd, although make install can have some problems
> > under the Hurd (debugging them would be a good thing).
>
> The reason I want to cross-compile is that my machine dual boots
> HURD/Linux, so when I'm in HURD, I have to deal with the monochrome 80x24
> mach terminal, lack of xemacs, my HURD is on an agonizingly slow disk etc,
> lots of little frustrations. Thanks for your advice, I'll try it out.

Yes, I understand this, I just think that setting up a proper cross-compilation
environment is even more frustrating, BUT: If you only want to cross
compile gnumach and Hurd, that's not too hard, because both cross-compile
cleanly even if your cross compilation setup is not 100% proper. Just make
sure you install the header files (libc0.2-dev, gnumach-dev, hurd-dev) on
the Hurd partition, mount it under /gnu andmake links:

/usr/i386-gnu/lib -> /gnu/lib
/usr/i386-gnu/include -> /gnu/include

> A point of clarification; I plan to use the X binaries so what I'm
> actually trying to cross-compile is gnumach and the HURD itself, it seems
> the HURD needs a patch to get X working.

Mmh. If you get it working, let us know how with the current sources.

The proper solution would be to write the missing parts of the serial device
support, though. (this will also fix the terminal frustration).