Re: Success on installing Hurd

Hello Kalle Olavi Niemitalo!

 On , 23 August 1999 at 13:17:16, you wrote:
 > Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:
 >
 > > I don't know of any benefit of using mbr vs installing GRUB in
 > > your MBR.
 >
 > The installation program of a certain non-free OS overwrites the
 > MBR, so recovery is easier if GRUB isn't there.

It's completely unlike LILO - with Grub you only need a floppy
containing Grub and maybe even a fancy 'menu.lst' where you just
have to scroll and hit 'Enter' in order to (re)install Grub's
'stage1' on the Master Boot Record or boot whatever you have
installed. Creating a functional Grub floppy might also be a good
start since it is likely that Grub works as your primary loader
if it worked from the floppy before. As always - better avoid
proprietary software.

BTW - remember that Grub might be the only thing that gets you
back to the info system of emacs, so better waste some paper on
Grub's documentation. ;-)

/bye
Dirk