Re: some debs

On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 09:54:13PM +0200, Robert Stepanek wrote:
> And a question:
> I have installed dpkg Version 1.4.1.6, when I run it with
> --print-gnu-build-architecture, I get:
>
> shoggoth:/src# dpkg --print-gnu-build-architecture
> dpkg: warning, architecture `i386' not in remapping table
> i386
>
> Is this correct, shouldn't it mean "hurd-i386" ?

It is not correct, but hurd-i386 is not correct either.

There is NO correct value for this option. I choose to ignore it. I could
make it print out "DO NOT USE THIS OPTION, YOU FOOL! IT BREAKS OUR NICE HURD
PORT!!!!", and I am _really_ tempted to do so.

Instead, I implemented a proposal to get the right values. It is called
dpkg-architecture.

dpkg 1.4.1.6 has this script, as well as some modifications to the dpkg
tools.

To get the build machines Debian distribution, use $(DEB_BUILD_ARCH) in the
debian/rules script.

To get the GNU system type, use $(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE).

There are a few more make variables set.

For compatibility, use dpkg --print-installation-architecture and some magic
described in the documentation of dpkg-architecture.

Please send me your patches that make use of this feature before anyone
else.