Re: APT

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 10:11:09AM +0200, Per Lundberg wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Okay, so the shlibdeps info in the gdb binary is not correct. I will soon
> > update gdb and make sure it is okay
>
> Doesn't dh_shlibdeps work under Hurd or what?

It does, a simple recompile will fix everything. the broken dependency is
cruft (check the date of the gdb package and you'll see what I mean...)

> > I will try to take a look at apt myself. The architecture stuff is something
> > I am particulary concerned with, and this should be done right... I wonder
> > how apt determines the installation architecture.
>
> It's fairly straighforward.. check in the configure.in for the section
> about architectures. (search for ARCHITECTURE)

Well, yes. I will check everything. What I mean with arhcitecture stuff
above is mostly Debian oriented (eg, the fact that debian/rules files are
often linux specific or use broken dpkg interface to get the architecture).

> > > Another thing I discovered is that the Hurd bails out totally if it runs
> > > out of memory. But I guess this is quite known? ;)
> > Use swap. Use even more swap. That helps alot.
>
> Yeah, but I still don't think it should _crash_ when it runs out of
> memory..

There should be some space reserved for essential tasks. I agree it is too easy
to crash it by using up all memory, but Linux is not perfect, too. Try an
application that is sucking up all memory without free()'ing, switch to root
console and try "ps" or try to login on another console. You won't be able
to kill the process or reboot or anything -> you have to do a hard reboot.

So, although there is room for improvement, this is easily circumvented by
having a lot of swap :)