Re: Broken libdb2?

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 10:13:01AM +0200, Per Lundberg wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > > The libdb2 on alpha seems to be broken.. and I can't find it in the
> > > distribution. It would be nice to have a working 'man' package..
> > I agree, it would be nice to have a working man. We are working on it. db
> > has some serious problems (converting access mode flags).
>
> Explain this further, and I might be able to give a helping hand.

Mark has more info on this. It is that dbopen() doesn't translate the access
modes O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY, O_RDWR etc not properly to the glibc open() call.
(The Hurd numbers are different from the Linux numbers). He will solve this
in glibc, AFAIK, maybe you want to apply the same changes to the standalone
db packages? You're certainly welcome.

> > Please make sure you download everything from alpha in binary mode. What do
> > you mean with broken, btw?
>
> The package was damaged. It wouldn't even unpack. (I tried both with dpkg
> and 'ar x')

That's a sign that you d/l in binary mode (or I uploaded in binary mode :)

> > I can upload libdb2 packages, but they will not be functional.
>
> :-) Well, that would be quite pointless..

Not really. mandb wouldn't work, but the "man" command would still display
man pages properly. Of course, you can also use troff and set a "man" alias
to call troff with the correct parameters :)