Re: Filesystem support

 PR> Now I understand why GNU Hurd is developped so slowly.

With all due respect, I don't think you do. ;)

 PR> There is already a user-space VT implementation (screen), made by
 PR> GNU itself, which just needs minor tuning (it even compiles
 PR> out-of-box).  However, you are going to put all this stuff into
 PR> the micro(!!!)kernel.

OKUJI doesn't do these things one at a time... he designs frameworks
that allow us to add huge new pieces of Linux to GNU Mach all in one
shot.  For example, to port /dev/random, he is designing glue code
that will allow him to port *nearly all* character devices.

If OKUJI says he is working on VT support in Mach, I would assume it
means he's doing it because there are other benefits as well.  If not,
then I would assume it is not high on his priority list, and that he
won't bother doing it if somebody makes VTs available in some other
way.

The original plan always was to add VT support directly into the
Hurd's `term' server, which should be relatively easy (for somebody
who understands the issues involved).

On the other hand, if you think that GNU screen only needs `minor
tuning', then I'd encourage you to compile a Debian package of it
yourself, referring to the list archives if you need any help.

All the information is there.  The only reason one of us is not
working on it is because there are higher priorities, and we saw very
little benefit compared to the amount of effort it would require from
us.

The simple explanation for the slow development of the Hurd always has
been, and still is, the fact that very few people are doing real work
on it.  If you did the `minor tuning' that is necessary to build a
Debian package of GNU screen and submit the patches to its maintainer,
then you will have contributed a great gift to us.  I'd encourage you
to consider that.

 PR> Hopefully, our grandchildren will run GNU Hurd on top of a
 PR> microkernel with videoblaster support :-)

Agreed. :)

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)