Re: Filesystem support

Hello, OKUJI!

>   I'm going to support virtual terminals by using Linux console
> driver, but this doesn't mean the virtual terminals in Hurd will be
> compatible with the ones in Linux. I may modify the code
> extensively. And, it's possible to support virtual terminals in the
> Hurd level, while my solution will be made in the GNU Mach level.
>
> > Did anybody succeed in running "screen" under Hurd?
>
>   I don't know.

Now I understand why GNU Hurd is developped so slowly. There is already a
user-space VT implementation (screen), made by GNU itself, which just
needs minor tuning (it even compiles out-of-box).
However, you are going to put all this stuff into the micro(!!!)kernel.

IMVHO microkernel should only handle _physically_ shareable resources
(port addresses, disk space, network bandwidth, processor time), but not
logically shared resources (virtual terminals, filesystem space etc).
Logical sharing can depend on user permissions (not everybody may use
the console), so it's not the thing microkernel should know about.

Hopefully, our grandchildren will run GNU Hurd on top of a microkernel
with videoblaster support :-)

Pavel Roskin