Re: Status of Debian developers?

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 09:28:01PM -0800, Joel Klecker wrote:
> At 02:31 +0200 1999-03-29, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >* We need a new libc6 for dpkg-shlibdeps (and even then we won't have a
> >  guarantee that it works). The alternative is to use objdump and the
> >  dpkg-cross version even natively (which is limited in some serious way).
>
> The ldd-based dpkg-shlibdeps is braindamaged in a major way.

[snipped]

thanks for the nice explanation why. I understand, and I think i will use
this chance to move to the better solution in the Hurd dpkg package (alas,
because Ian starts from a very old dpkg, I can't wait for him to catch up
and have to roll my own).

> A native objdump-based dpkg-shlibdeps patch is available in the
> debian-dpkg archives
> (http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-dpkg-9901/msg00080.html).

I'll get it. I didn't use the dpkg-cross one because it couldn't have a PATH
for libraries, /lib was the only one it reckopgnized (/usr/lib not...).
If this patch is better, it will be used or enhanced.