Re: Status of Debian developers?

 MB> * We need a new libc6 for dpkg-shlibdeps (and even then we won't
 MB> have a guarantee that it works).
[...]
 MB> Gordon, what's the current status?

The current upstream release of glibc is glibc-2.1.1pre1.  This
release still doesn't work on the Hurd, because some essential patches
from Mark Kettenis weren't yet merged.

The next time Ulrich does a snapshot, it should work fine on the
Hurd.  Then, Joel Klecker will create the Debian source package, and
at that time, you or me or somebody else can compile and upload the
Hurd binary package to alpha.

After a few days of testing to make sure nothing is seriously broken,
we'll upload it to Debian.

 MB> Will ldd work in the next glibc?

I don't know if ldd will work or not.  With a new glibc package, many
more people will be able to help us track this down even if it still
doesn't work.

 MB> * The archive needs to be cleaned up. I need to check if we have
 MB> need for binary-all-hurd and binary-all-linux (I feel a need, but
 MB> I need hard numbers)

You already know that I don't like dpkg's architecture mechanism, and
feel it will need to be rewritten anyway in terms of more generic ABI
dependencies, but I support you in your effort to implement something
that takes care of the immediate concerns.

 MB> * Then, I will actually try to get auto-building to work. this
 MB> would be a big step forward.

Agreed!

Okuji and I have been working on GRUB (more volunteers are certainly
welcome: see my next mail).  I'm quite confident that an
easy-to-install, well-documented, and reasonably stable version of
GRUB will be ready for gnu-0.3.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)