Re: GRUB maintainership

Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@trick.fig.org> wrote:

>  EB> I'm working on it kind of low key right now (responding to a
>  EB> batch of email messages once every 2 weeks or so).
>
> I think that's a little too slow for this stage of Debian GNU/Hurd's
> development (no offense intended... I know you must be busy with other
> things).
>
> Would you object to me doing some aggressive point releases of 0.5
> (i.e. 0.5.1, 0.5.2, etc), and then reporting back to you when I
> discover which new features/bug fixes seem to work well?
>
> I'm not so interested in taking over GRUB as I am in quickly obtaining
> a set of working Debian GNU/Hurd installation disks.  After I have
> that, I'll relax, and probably be content with whatever pace you want
> to set for future development.
>
> Up until that time, though, I feel pretty impatient, and don't want to
> have to wait two weeks just to get replies from you.

Heh.  Yeah, I'm OK with that.  I'm also OK with the idea of being
more focused for a while, to help you guys get a first version out.

>  EB> So, I'm throwing it open...  what do people fundamentally want
>  EB> here?  Lot's of new features, or mostly bug fixes ??
>
> Seriously, though, there are many things that can be done to make GRUB
> work better with the Hurd.  I don't care what gets implemented first,
> just so long as there are signs of rapid progress towards having an
> easy-to-use GNU binary distribution.

Do you guys have a "really-want" list?

I'm nearly to a 0.5.1 (as in putting up some code this weekend sometime)
which has several things that have been requested plus bug-fixes like
some more consistent error reporting that Roland asked for.

Another point is that I'm seriously looking at converting the UI
entirely to a command-line (or at least having a pure command-line
option) so as to be compatible with serial and even a net-console option
I'm looking at.  The issue here is simply coming up with a good organization
that is relatively convenient for experts yet not confusing to (and hopefully
intuitive for) the end-user.

--
    Erich Stefan Boleyn                      \_         <erich@uruk.org>
  Mad Scientist  --  CyberMuffin               \__    http://www.uruk.org/